Thursday, August 15, 2013

10 minute craft dash - birthday theme

This is my first time participating in the 10 Minute Craft Dash challenge hosted by Pretty Pink Posh...officially anyway.  I find myself constantly trying to rush and finish up a birthday card just before I have to leave for a birthday party, so I'm all too familiar with the dashiness aspect of this challenge:)

For the birthday-themed challenge, I created this with just 8 seconds to spare!!!


I made several mistakes in my process...should have made a one layer card on water color paper so that I wouldn't have to spend so much time cutting out the pink bunny.  I should have also done all the water coloring first so that it would have time to dry while I was doing other things (e.g., washi tape, stamping the sentiment).  I'm still learning...it's all good:)


I actually used my oven timer for this challenge, as I had just rotated some banana pineapple (aka Hummingbird cake) cupcakes in the oven and needed to bake them for an additional 10 minutes.  And for some cute points, I topped those cupcakes with pink and yellow sprinkles to match the card.


A special birthday shout-out to my co-worker, Sammy, the birthday girl.  She is an amazing team player and a loving mother.  Don't let the smile fool you though; she is one tough cookie.  Strong, confident, and always taking care of people she loves.  Happy birthday to you!!!

Here's how it went down when I handed Sammy her gift:
Sammy: (looking in the bag) You got me cupcakes?!?!
Me: No, I baked those for you.
Sammy: Awwwwww! (picking up the card) You got me a card, too?!?!
Me: No, I made you that card.
Sammy: Awwwwww!  I'm Instagramming this right now.

Ha! Love the effect that handmade/homemade gifts can make on someone.


And, happy 1st birthday to the Pretty Pink Posh's 10 Minute Craft Dash.  Cheers!!!


Supplies: Happy Birthday Sammy card
Stamps: Mama Elephant (midnight letters, starry night, up and away)
Inks: Memento (tuxedo black); Crayola washable watercolors
Other: washi tape

Recipe: Hummingbird Cupcakes
http://www.oprah.com/food/Art-Smiths-Hummingbird-Cake

16 comments :

  1. I simply adore this card- the colors, stamps, washi tape.... it all comes togehter beautifully on this card! Also, love those matching cupcakes!

    Thank you so much for joining in the 10 Minute Craft Dash Birthday Bash celebration, Lorraine. I hope you'll join us again soon!

    P.S. Loved this card so much I had to share it on the Pretty Pink Posh Facebook page this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much! I was definitely scrambling and getting messy in the final minute, but I think it came out nicely:)

      Delete
  2. Awwww, this is so sweet!
    Thanks so much for playing along with the 10 Minute Craft Dash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leigh. I usually take way too long to make a card, so a 10 minute limit is actually good training for me:)

      Delete
  3. This is soooo sweet! I am so impressed you did this in 10 minutes - and it sounds like you learned a lot from the process. Thanks so much for playing with us at the 10 MInute Craft Dash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel. Yes, I definitely learned a lot. For a 10 minute craft dash, I need to just keep it simple:)

      Delete
  4. Congrats! I like your card! so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being a favorite at the craft dash! I'm impressed you attempted to water color on a 10 minute card. Love reading your coworkers reaction to her b-day gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute card! Like your design and the bunny! Congrats on being a craft dash favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This card is so super duper cute! :) Congrats on being a Craft Dash Favorite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats for being a favorite! I love this stamp set and you made such a cute card with it! I love your incorporation of the washi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. This stamp set has quickly become one of my favorites:)

      Delete