Saturday, October 26, 2013

love and endless gratitude

I received word last night that one of my teachers from high school passed away.  This blog is dedicated to her, Ms. Fern Wallace.  I am full of love and endless gratitude.


Ms. Wallace.  Funny that thinking about her brings a warmth...and a bit of fear...in my heart.  Before I got to know her, I was so intimidated by her.  She was Elk Grove High School's Activities Director during my time there, advising student clubs and student government.  She expected the best of her students and she didn't hold back from letting us know when we could give more and try harder.  Looking back, I think Ms. Wallace had more confidence in me than I had in myself.  I had been active in student government, sports, and clubs throughout high school and when Ms. Wallace saw me slipping, she let me know.


Ms. Wallace cared about her students like we were her own kids.  She took the time to know our goals and hopes, and she challenged us to bring them to life.  She'd joke around with us and validate us on our hard work.  I know that I worked hard to make her proud of me.

After I graduated, I came by to visit former teachers at my high school a few times.  I always had to find Ms. Wallace during my visits.  I remember catching up with her once when she told me, "You can call me Fern now."  Now, in my culture, we always address adults with a title of respect -- Ms, Mr, uncle, auntie -- so it was difficult for me and I just couldn't bring myself to call Ms. Wallace by her first name.  I would feel disrespectful in doing so.  Well today, I reflected about that exchange and I think I understand what my teacher, my mentor was conveying to me.  She saw us as equals and colleagues...two people with mutual respect for one another.  I know I wouldn't be who I am today without her guidance and genuine support.  And it is with love and endless gratitude that I say: Thank you, Fern.


This card for Fern will be submitted into the 10 Minute Craft Dash hosted by Pretty Pink Posh.  It took me 8 minutes and 51 seconds to make.  But, I actually made 3 cards before this one that either didn't look good enough, or where I ran out of time.  Fern always told me not to give up, so I'm happy to report that I didn't:)  After many years, your influence still remains.  You will always be in my heart.


Supplies:
Stamps: Paper Smooches Many Thanks, Reflections, Word Salad; Papertrey Ink Grand Ampersand
Dies: Paper Smooches Reflections
Inks: Mama Elephant (ocean); Memento (tuxedo black); Memento Luxe (Pistachio, Rhubarb Stalk)
Other: black enamel accents; Wink of Stella glitter brush (clear)

2 comments :

  1. Oh, what a beautiful post, Lorraine! And your card is so lovely -- fabulous job with the challenge! I love that you kept trying with it -- I've had to do that, too, with the 10 Minute Craft Dash, so rest-assured, you aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome. Love the flowers and your sentiment. Great card. Thanks for playing along with us in the 10 Minute Craft Dash and hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete