Monday, February 3, 2014

thinking of you

This card is being entered into the CASE Study challenge, where our wonderfully talented muse for the month has been Donna Mikasa.  Here's my take...


...on Donna's beautiful card.


In addition to the inspiration I got from Donna's card, I was compelled to make this card because I've been thinking a lot about Philip Seymour Hoffman.  Hearing about his death yesterday made me want to reach out to everyone I know who is struggling right now.


My Facebook feed was full of Philip Seymour Hoffman posts.  My friend played an extra in one of PSH's movies and commented about how genuine and down to earth he was.  A friend of a friend was PSH's dorm roommate at NYU and commented about how focused he was.  And another friend and PSH were members of the same off-Broadway company and was struggling with the news.


I didn't know him, but I have a great PSH story that makes me laugh whenever I tell it.  At the chocolate store where I work, there is a regular customer who is a PSH-look-alike.  He comes in at least once a week to buy 8 cookies.  One day he came in and I asked him if he wanted his regular order, to which he nodded, paid, and went about his way.  About an hour later, he came back and I got out the words "back for m...?" (almost saying "back for more?") when I realized it was THE Philip Seymour Hoffman.  He asked for just one cookie, and right when I was going to tell him that I admired his work, I got the feeling that he wanted to go unnoticed.  So, I kept my cool and gave him his cookie.  We exchanged smiles, and he went on his way.  And, that's how I'll remember him.

This card will also be linked to CAS-ual Friday's Over the Edge challenge.


Take care and thank you for stopping by.

Supplies:
Stamps: WPlus9 Fresh Cut Florals
Inks: Copic markers, Versamark
Die: Simon Says Stamp Devonshire Butterfly
Other: vellum, pewter embossing powder, Wink of Stella glitter brush (clear)

2 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. Lovely card! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a gorgeous card!!! Love all the white space with the pop of tourqoise!! Thanks so much for playing along with CAS-ual Fridays! :)

    ReplyDelete